DWI Lawyer in University City, MO
DWI Lawyer in University City, MO. Getting pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is potentially one of the worst experiences a University City, MO-area driver can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for a minimum of 60 days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, face raising insurance costs, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your reputation in the University City, MO community or your workplace could take a substantial hit, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as countries such as Canada prohibit individuals with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
If you find yourself in the challenging situation of facing DWI charges after being pulled over in the University City, MO area, it’s critical to enlist the support of an experienced DWI lawyer in University City. Waste no time; call Combs Waterkotte as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP or through our online contact form to initiate the process of crafting a robust defense for your case. Take advantage of our attorneys’ expertise through a free, no-strings-attached consultation to discuss the details of your situation and your next steps.
Have You Been Pulled Over Anywhere in the University City, MO Area?
Having an aggressive and proficient University City, MO DWI lawyer on your case can — and often does — make the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Waterkotte, our knowledgeable University City, MO DWI attorneys are dedicated advocates for all our University City, MO area DWI clients. No matter if this is your first encounter with law enforcement or if you are dealing with DWI charges again, our firm is committed to providing your University City, MO DWI case with the attention it deserves. We formulate a legal strategy tailored specifically to securing the best possible results for you.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI in University City is second to none, and we are committed to complete client satisfaction in everything we do. When facing DWI charges near University City, MO, prioritize making (314) 900-HELP your initial contact. We provide free case reviews and, at Combs Waterkotte, we are devoted to working with you, accommodating any financial challenges you may be facing, to mount a robust defense against your DWI charges in University City, MO.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs near University City, MO, it’s natural to be nervous. Any encounter with law enforcement for a moving violation can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are facing accusations of impaired driving. With extensive experience handling numerous University City, MO-area DWI cases, our firm suggests the following course of action if you find yourself pulled over for DWI:
- Pull over safely. Ensure a safe pull-over by using your turn signal, selecting a well-lit location on the side of the road, and opting for a shoulder or nearby parking lot if available. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Maintain composure and cooperation during the encounter. Hostility can escalate the situation and lead to increased scrutiny. Politeness goes a long way when being pulled over for DWI in the University City, MO area.
- Avoid self-incrimination. Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Provide the officer your license and insurance/registration, but refrain from offering additional information. Law enforcement officers are looking for any excuse to continue an investigation and arrest you, so it’s wise not to provide unnecessary data. You can always choose not to answer potentially incriminating questions, like “Have you been drinking?” by stating that you prefer not to respond without legal advice.
- Avoid the portable breath test. Refrain from taking a portable breath test. While Missouri enforces implied consent laws that lead to a one-year license revocation for refusing a breathalyzer or blood test, this is applicable only after you are formally arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are frequently deemed unreliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Conversations with an attorney are completely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Seeking guidance from an experienced University City, MO DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, addressing any issues that arose in the stop, or clarifying other concerns can be the crucial difference between facing months of license suspension and potentially having your case dismissed.
Being charged with driving under the influence carries severe legal repercussions in University City, MO, encompassing fines, the suspension of your driver’s license, and the possibility of incarceration. Gaining a comprehensive understanding of the potential consequences is crucial, and a Combs Waterkotte attorney is ready to provide detailed insights and more during a free case review. DWI laws can differ across jurisdictions, even in smaller areas neighboring University City, MO, emphasizing the importance of seeking guidance from an lawyer well-versed in the local legal landscape for personalized advice tailored to your unique situationDriving under the influence has serious legal repercussions in University City, MO, including fines, license suspension, and possible jail time. Having a firm grasp of the potential outcomes is essential, and a Combs Waterkotte attorney will do that and more during a free consultation. Laws regarding DWI vary by jurisdiction, even small areas surrounding University City, MO, so it’s advisable to consult with a lawyer familiar with the laws in your area for specific advice tailored to your situation.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your University City, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri are undeniably severe, with even a first DWI offense potentially resulting in significant repercussions as outlined in accordance with Missouri law, categorizing it as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called Substance Awareness Traffic Offender Program (SATOP)
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as a Certificate of Financial Responsibility or an SR-22
Our experienced University City, MO legal team makes sure that the residents of University City, MO receive the best possible legal presentation, no matter the circumstance. After all, good people often find themselves in bad situations. Along with DWI defense in University City, MO, our attorneys are experienced in many forms of law, such as:
- Child Pornography Defense Lawyer
- Criminal Lawyer
- Juvenile Defense Lawyer
- Sexual Misconduct Lawyer
- Traffic Ticket Lawyer
- Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
- Speeding Ticket Lawyer
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in University City, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, encompassing possible penalties like:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID). This prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit.
- Regular, trackable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan (SR-22)
The administrative aspect in a University City, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Many drivers in the University City, MO area may not be aware that , provided the appeal is submitted within 15 days of your initial arrest in University City, MO.
When you enlist the impeccable services of the University City, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Waterkotte, you can be confident that our firm will promptly address both facets of your DWI case as soon as possible and work hard to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the University City police report or arrest, and develop a strategy that is built for success. Give us a call now at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online.
Contact A University City, MO DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Waterkotte
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in University City, MO, you likely understand the urgency surrounding your case. Swift action is crucial in securing a seasoned University City, MO DWI lawyer to examine documents, amass evidence, and build your case, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your DWI arrest in University City will be substantially mitigated or even eradicated.
Combs Waterkotte has helped hundreds of University City, MO-area residents from all walks of life take on DWI charges. Our firm combines top-notch legal expertise and assertive litigation with a dedication to personalized service and communication that is unmatched among DWI law firms near University City, MO and throughout Missouri. Our DWI attorneys assure you that, regardless of the time, location, or circumstance, they will promptly answer your call to discuss your case or any other legal concerns. This commitment is an integral part of our pledge to gain complete client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the University City, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial .