CDL DWI Lawyer in St. Louis
Last Updated: January 15, 2024
This content has been written and edited by professional legal writers and individually reviewed and verified by Christopher Combs and Steven Waterkotte, attorneys who have over 40 combined years in the criminal defense industry.
CDL DWI Lawyers in St. Louis
Holders of a commercial driver’s license in Missouri are held to much higher standards when it comes to driving while intoxicated, and for good reason. Most St. Louis drivers do not want to get behind the wheel and worry that drivers of large trucks or vans are a danger to themselves and others on the road.
If you are the holder of a CDL, and you are caught driving while intoxicated even in your own personal car, you could be facing the potential loss of your CDL – and thus your livelihood – for a long period of time, even if it is your first offense.
Combs Waterkotte is an experienced St. Louis criminal defense law firm who specializes in DWI cases. We have a proven track record of fighting zealously for our clients, while giving them the personal attention and communication their clients deserve. Our firm invites you to take a look at some of our previous results. You'll find that those results compare favorably to any major firm in St. Louis, and those firms cannot promise that when you work with them you will always speak with an attorney about your case, never a paralegal or assistant.
Driving a large truck, bus, or other commercial vehicle is not an easy task, and Missouri wants drivers to be adequately trained and aware of the responsibilities that come with being able to pilot one of these vehicles. Prospective commercial drivers have to take one or more special knowledge tests as well as several driving skills tests, depending on the class of license they are applying to drive.
Missouri imposes stringent penalties for driving while intoxicated only, but especially for CDL holders, reflecting a nationwide trend driven by advocacy groups like MADD. Even for a first-time CDL DWI in St. Louis, MO, the potential for serious consequences and fines – as well as real jail time – upon conviction is a stark, unfortunate reality.
We recognize the complexities of CDL DWI cases, offering dedicated legal representation to safeguard your rights and future throughout the St. Louis area and across Missouri. Our commitment extends to exploring every legal avenue to eliminate or significantly mitigate DWI consequences to your CDL. Our attorneys collaborate on a strategic plan of attack, presenting clear expectations after an initial, no-obligation consultation. Combs Waterkotte relentlessly pursues favorable outcomes for our clients, ensuring no stone is left unturned in your defense.
Explore our criminal defense expertise in these various case types:
How CDL DWI Charges Work in St. Louis and Missouri
In Missouri, the requirements for a commercial driver’s license are appropriately much stricter than a normal driver’s license. Accordingly, both the laws and punishments for DWI are much more serious when the accused holds a CDL.
Commercial drivers face a minimum one-year CDL revocation if they are pulled over and accused of the following:
- Driving a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) with a blood-alcohol content of .04% or higher
- Driving a personal vehicle with a BAC of .08% or higher
- Refusing a blood-alcohol test
- Driving a CMV under the influence of another controlled substance
How the Combs Waterkotte legal team can help your CDL DWI case in St. Louis or anywhere else in Missouri:
- Our attorneys possess CDL-specific expertise
- We develop a customized strategic defense tailored to you
- Our entire legal team performs a thorough case evaluation
- We provide unwavering legal advocacy throughout your entire legal process
Missouri CDLs, DWIs, and You
In addition to the suspension of your CDL, if convicted of a DWI your regular driving license will be suspended for a minimum 30 day period. You will also be charged with a class B misdemeanor, which has maximum penalties of six months in jail and a $500 fine attached to it.
Also, those convicted of DWI may be required to pay for and install an ignition interlock device on one or more of their vehicles, as well as see their insurance premiums drastically increase. If they were to apply for the reinstatement of their CDL when said year’s suspension expires, they must also successfully retake all applicable written and practical tests.
What Can a St. Louis CDL DWI Lawyer Do For Me and My Case?
The Combs Waterkotte CDL DWI lawyers specialize in cases involving individuals who worked hard to get their CDL and then are charged with DWI offenses. As this career is your livelihood, we don’t take these matters lightly. The following are examples of what our CDL DWI legal team can do for you and your case in St. Louis or elsewhere in Missouri:
- Specialized Expertise: Our CDL DWI lawyers have specialized knowledge of the laws and regulations governing commercial drivers in St. Louis and throughout Missouri. They understand the specific legal implications and consequences for CDL holders charged with DWI.
- Legal Defense Strategy: Based on the specifics of your case, your attorney will develop a tailored defense strategy. This may involve challenging the legality of the traffic stop, questioning the accuracy of sobriety tests, or identifying procedural errors.
- Understanding of Federal and Local Regulations: Our CDL DWI attorneys are familiar with federal regulations governing local commercial drivers. They can assess whether law enforcement adhered to these regulations during the arrest and challenge any violation that may have taken place.
- Representation in Administrative or Court Proceedings: If your CDL is subject to administrative proceedings, like a hearing with the Missouri Department of Revenue, our lawyer can represent you in these proceedings. They will advocate for your rights and work to minimize the impact on your CDL.
Contact a St. Louis CDL DWI Lawyer Today at Combs Waterkotte
While being convicted of a DWI is not something anyone would want to have happen to them, for the holder of a CDL this sort of conviction presents a special problem. If you are a commercial driver accused of driving while intoxicated, your livelihood will likely instantly go away seeing as you drive to work and suddenly cannot do so anymore. As such, hiring a top St. Louis DWI lawyer for your Missouri CDL DWI case is critical.
At Combs Waterkotte, our approach to DWI cases (including CDL DWI cases) is different from other St. Louis DWI law firms. When you hire us, you will get a firm that is willing to look for a fight and deliver the results you expect. Our firm will work tirelessly to minimize the impact a DWI has on your life and career and allow you to keep your hard-earned reputation. Contact us online today to schedule a consultation and to learn more about what to expect when you hire the top St. Louis, MO CDL DWI attorneys at Combs Waterkotte.