DWI Lawyer in Hazelwood, MO
DWI Lawyer in Hazelwood, MO. Facing allegations of driving while intoxicated (DWI) can be a daunting experience, particularly considering the potential repercussions for Hazelwood, MO drivers. Beyond the immediate consequences of a minimum 60-day suspension of your driving privileges, hefty fines, elevated insurance expenses, and enduring points on your license, the aftermath extends to enduring damage to your reputation within your Hazelwood community or your professional sphere. Also, international travel prospects may be constrained, with countries like Canada prohibiting entry for individuals with a DWI conviction on their record.
If you have been pulled over and are facing DWI charges, you need a top-tier Hazelwood, MO DWI lawyer on your side right now. Call Combs Waterkotte as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online so that we can get to work building your defense right away. Our attorneys are available for free, no-obligation consultations where they can discuss the specifics of your case with you and plan your next steps.
Have You Been Pulled Over Anywhere in the Hazelwood, MO Area?
Having an aggressive and effective Hazelwood, MO DWI lawyer on your case can — and often does — make the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Waterkotte, our experienced Hazelwood, MO DWI attorneys are devoted advocates for all our clients throughout the Hazelwood, MO area facing DWI charges. Whether this is your first encounter with law enforcement or if you are dealing with DWI charges again, our firm will give your Hazelwood, MO DWI case the personal attention you expect and craft a legal strategy that is built to get you the best possible outcome.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI in Hazelwood is second to none, and we are committed to complete client satisfaction in everything we do. When facing DWI charges near Hazelwood, MO, prioritize making (314) 900-HELP your initial contact. We provide free case reviews and, at Combs Waterkotte, we are devoted to working with you, accommodating any financial hardships you may be facing, to mount a robust defense against your DWI charges in Hazelwood, MO.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs near Hazelwood, MO, it’s natural to be nervous. Any encounter with law enforcement for a moving violation can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is amplified when you’re accused of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of DWI cases in Hazelwood, MO, our firm suggests the following course of action if you find yourself pulled over for DWI:
- Pull over safely. Safely pull your vehicle to the side of the road. Use your turn signal, and choose a well-lit safe area. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or find a nearby parking lot. Avoid parking on grass to maintain safety and compliance.
- Remain calm and cooperative. Maintain composure and cooperation during the encounter. Hostility can escalate the situation and lead to increased scrutiny. Politeness goes a long way when being pulled over for DWI in the Hazelwood, MO area.
- Avoid self-incrimination. Exercise your right to remain silent under the Fifth Amendment. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but refrain from offering additional information. Law enforcement officers are looking for any reason to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them any. You can always choose not to answer potentially incriminating questions, like “Have you been drinking?” by stating that you would rather not answer without legal advice.
- Avoid the portable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for one year if you refuse a breathalyzer or a blood test, this only applies after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are often deemed unreliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- Call a lawyer if you are arrested. Conversations with an attorney are completely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced Hazelwood, MO DWI lawyer regarding whether to undergo a breath test at the station, addressing any issues that arose in your stop, or clarifying other concerns can be the critical difference between facing months of license suspension and potentially having your case dismissed.
Being charged with driving under the influence carries severe legal repercussions in Hazelwood, MO, encompassing fines, the suspension of your driver’s license, and the possibility of jail time. Gaining a comprehensive understanding of the potential consequences is crucial, and a Combs Waterkotte attorney is ready to provide detailed insights and more during a free case review. DWI laws can differ across jurisdictions, even in smaller areas neighboring Hazelwood, MO, emphasizing the importance of seeking guidance from an attorney well-versed in the local legal landscape for personalized advice tailored to your unique situationDriving under the influence has severe legal consequences in Hazelwood, MO, including fines, license suspension, and possible jail time. Knowing the potential outcomes is essential, and a Combs Waterkotte lawyer will provide that and more during a free consultation. Laws regarding DWI vary by jurisdiction, even small areas surrounding Hazelwood, MO, so it’s advisable to consult with an attorney familiar with the laws in your area for specific advice tailored to your circumstances.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your DWI Case in Hazelwood, MO
DWI cases in Missouri involve two distinct components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri are undeniably severe, with even a first DWI offense potentially resulting in significant repercussions as outlined in accordance with Missouri law, categorizing it as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as Substance Awareness Traffic Offender Program (SATOP)
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as a Certificate of Financial Responsibility or an SR-22
Our experienced Hazelwood, MO legal team makes sure that the citizens of Hazelwood, MO receive the best possible legal presentation, no matter the circumstance. After all, good people often find themselves in bad situations. Along with DWI defense in Hazelwood, MO, our attorneys are experienced in numerous forms of law, like:
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Hazelwood, MO, be prepared for the prospect of dealing with class A misdemeanor charges, which include these penalties:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID). This keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit.
- Regular, trackable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan (SR-22)
The administrative component in a Hazelwood, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with the revocation or suspension of your license. Most drivers in the Hazelwood, MO area do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest in Hazelwood, MO.
When you enlist the impeccable services of the Hazelwood, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Waterkotte, you can be confident that our firm will tackle both facets of your DWI case as soon as possible and strive to mitigate the impact of a DWI arrest on your life. We will compile evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the Hazelwood police report or arrest, and develop a strategy that is built to win. Give us a call right now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online.
Contact A Hazelwood, MO DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Waterkotte
If you’ve recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Hazelwood, MO, you are probably well aware that time is of the essence when dealing with your case. Swift action is crucial in securing a seasoned Hazelwood, MO DWI lawyer to examine documents, amass evidence, and construct a robust case, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your DWI arrest in Hazelwood will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated.
Combs Waterkotte has helped hundreds of Hazelwood, MO-area residents from all walks of life take on DWI charges. Our firm seamlessly combines unparalleled legal expertise and assertive advocacy with a commitment to personalized service and communication that is unmatched among DWI law firms near Hazelwood, MO and throughout Missouri. Our DWI lawyers promise that no matter the time, no matter the situation, and no matter the circumstances, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our commitment to complete client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
If you find yourself pulled over and facing DWI charges in the Hazelwood, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call for a free initial case review and put the experienced Hazelwood, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Waterkotte to work for you.