DWI Lawyer in Vandalia, MO
DWI Lawyer in Vandalia, MO. Facing allegations of driving while intoxicated (DWI) can be a daunting experience, particularly considering the potential repercussions for Vandalia, MO drivers. Beyond the immediate consequences of a minimum 60-day suspension of your driving privileges, hefty fines, elevated insurance expenses, and enduring points on your license, the aftermath extends to enduring damage to your reputation within your Vandalia community or your professional sphere. Additionally, international travel prospects may be constrained, with countries like Canada prohibiting entry for people with a DWI conviction on their record.
If you have been pulled over and are facing DWI charges, you need a top-tier Vandalia, MO DWI lawyer on your side right now. Call Combs Waterkotte as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online so that we can get to work building your defense right away. Our attorneys are available for free, no-obligation consultations where they can discuss the specifics of your case with you and plan your next steps.
Have You Been Pulled Over Anywhere in the Vandalia, MO Area?
Having a tenacious and effective Vandalia, MO DWI lawyer on your case can be the pivotal factor between accepting a DWI conviction with severe repercussions and reaching a more favorable outcome such as reduced or even dismissed charges. At Combs Waterkotte, our knowledgeable Vandalia, MO DWI attorneys fight tirelessly on behalf of all our clients throughout the Vandalia, MO area facing DWI charges. No matter if this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for anything or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Vandalia, MO DWI case the personal attention you are looking for and craft a legal strategy that is built to get you the best possible results.
Our unparalleled track record of success in defending Vandalia residents accused of DWI speaks volumes, and our dedication extends to ensuring total client satisfaction in every aspect of our service. After you have been arrested for DWI in or anywhere near Vandalia, MO, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial case reviews are always free, and Combs Waterkotte will work with you regardless of any financial challenges you might have to help you beat your Vandalia, MO DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs near Vandalia, MO, it’s natural to feel nervous. Any encounter with law enforcement for a moving violation can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is amplified when you are facing accusations of impaired driving. With extensive experience handling numerous DWI cases in Vandalia, MO, our firm suggests the following course of action if you find yourself pulled over for DWI:
- Safely pull over. Ensure a safe pull-over by using your turn signal, choosing a well-lit location on the side of the road, and opting for a shoulder or nearby parking lot if available. Avoid parking on grass to maintain safety and compliance.
- Remain calm and cooperative. Remain calm and composed. Being hostile to a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Being polite goes a long way when being pulled over for DWI near Vandalia, MO.
- Avoid self-incrimination. Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but don’t give them any other information. Law enforcement officers are looking for any reason to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them any. You can always choose not to answer potentially incriminating questions, like “Have you been drinking?” by stating that you would rather not answer without legal advice.
- Do not take a portable breath test. Refrain from taking a portable breath test. While Missouri enforces implied consent laws that lead to a one-year license revocation for refusing a breathalyzer or blood test, this is applicable only after you are formally arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are frequently deemed unreliable and are primarily used to establish probable cause for an arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your conversation with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Seeking guidance from an experienced Vandalia, MO DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, addressing any issues that arose in the stop, or other questions you might have can make the difference between losing your driving privileges for months and your case potentially being dismissed.
Being charged with driving under the influence carries severe legal repercussions in Vandalia, MO, encompassing fines, the suspension of your driver’s license, and the possibility of incarceration. Gaining a comprehensive understanding of the potential consequences is crucial, and a Combs Waterkotte attorney is ready to provide detailed insights and more during a free case review. DWI laws can differ across jurisdictions, even in smaller areas neighboring Vandalia, MO, emphasizing the importance of seeking guidance from an attorney well-versed in the local legal landscape for personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstancesDriving under the influence has serious legal repercussions in Vandalia, MO, including fines, license suspension, and possible jail time. Having a firm grasp of the potential outcomes is essential, and a Combs Waterkotte attorney will do that and more during a free case review. Laws regarding DWI vary by jurisdiction, even small areas neighboring Vandalia, MO, so it’s advisable to consult with an attorney familiar with the laws in your area for specific advice tailored to your circumstances.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Vandalia, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri involve two distinct components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri are undeniably severe, with even a first DWI offense potentially resulting in substantial repercussions as outlined in accordance with Missouri law, defining it as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as Substance Awareness Traffic Offender Program (SATOP)
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as a Certificate of Financial Responsibility or an SR-22
Our skilled Vandalia, MO legal team ensures that the citizens of Vandalia, MO receive the best possible legal presentation, no matter the circumstance. After all, good people often find themselves in bad situations. Along with DWI defense in Vandalia, MO, our attorneys are experienced in many types of cases, like:
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Vandalia, MO, be prepared for the prospect of dealing with class A misdemeanor charges, encompassing potential penalties like:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID). This prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit.
- Continuous, verifiable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan (SR-22)
The administrative facet in a Vandalia, MO DWI case has to do with your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with the revocation or suspension of your license. Most drivers in the Vandalia, MO area do not know that they have the option to appeal the automatic suspension or revocation, provided the appeal is submitted within 15 days of your initial arrest in Vandalia, MO.
When you hire the DWI lawyers with experience in Vandalia, MO at Combs Waterkotte, rest assured that our firm will promptly address both facets of your DWI case as soon as possible and strive to mitigate the impact of a DWI arrest on your life. We will compile evidence, scrutinize the details of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the Vandalia police report or arrest, and develop a strategy that is built for success. Give us a call right now at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online.
Contact A DWI Lawyer Who Wins in Vandalia, MO | Combs Waterkotte
If you have recently faced arrest and DWI charges in Vandalia, MO, you likely understand the urgency surrounding your case. The sooner you can get a skilled Vandalia, MO DWI lawyer to review documents, gather evidence, and build your case, the higher the likelihood that the repercussions of your Vandalia DWI arrest will be significantly reduced, if not eliminated.
For numerous individuals in Vandalia, MO, Combs Waterkotte has been a beacon of support when facing DWI charges. Our firm seamlessly blends unparalleled legal expertise and assertive advocacy with a commitment to personal service and communication that stands out among DWI law firms near Vandalia, MO and throughout Missouri. Our DWI attorneys promise that no matter the time, no matter the situation, and no matter the circumstances, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal topic. This commitment is an integral part of our pledge to gain complete client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Vandalia, MO area, prioritize calling (314) 900-HELP for a free initial case review and put the experienced Vandalia, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Waterkotte to work for you.