Order of Protection Lawyer Wildwood, MO
If you were served with a restraining order in Wildwood, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Waterkotte is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Wildwood, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to protect people who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or violence from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Wildwood, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Wildwood, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Wildwood, MO, contact Combs Waterkotte as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Wildwood, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to compel a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Wildwood, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed correctly and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Waterkotte: Your Wildwood, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Wildwood, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Wildwood and Missouri order of protection law. As your Wildwood, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Waterkotte maintains a consistent history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Wildwood, MO. All of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of veteran legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to design robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, discuss your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in assembling and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We offer resolute representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Waterkotte as your dedicated Wildwood, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the help and advocacy you need during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Wildwood, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, knowing it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This documentation can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, get in touch with a competent attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on entering your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt steps will establish the foundation for a solid defense and aid safeguard your rights through the Wildwood, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Waterkotte’s Wildwood, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Wildwood, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can lead to a variety of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, such as restrictions on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the severity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and devoted legal representation. Combs Waaterkotte knows the intricacies of order of protection cases in Wildwood, MO and is committed to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to defending your rights, investigating legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Waterkotte be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Waterkotte’s Wildwood, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Waterkotte. During this essential initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step towards securing your defense in an order of protection case in Wildwood, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Wildwood, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
At Combs Waterkotte, we are focused on standing by your side through the legal journey, giving resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t delay to get in touch with us today to discuss your order of protection case in Wildwood, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.