Order of Protection Lawyer Branson, MO
If you received a restraining order in Branson, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Waterkotte is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Branson, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a essential legal instrument designed to safeguard people who may be facing dangers, harassment, or assault from someone else. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Branson, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Branson, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Branson, MO, contact Combs Waterkotte as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Branson, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Branson, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed correctly and that each individual’s rights are protected.
Combs Waterkotte: Your Branson, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Branson, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in Branson and Missouri order of protection law. As your Branson, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Waterkotte maintains a proven track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Branson, MO. Every single one of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to assess the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Waterkotte as your dedicated Branson, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in trustworthy hands, receiving the help and advocacy you deserve during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Branson, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This documentation can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, get in touch with a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will lay the foundation for a robust defense and help defend your rights through the Branson, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Waterkotte’s Branson, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Branson, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a variety of major consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, including restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you require knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Waaterkotte understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in Branson, MO and is focused on lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are committed to defending your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Waterkotte be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Waterkotte’s Branson, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are confronted with an order of protection or seek legal guidance in such matters, we highly urge you to schedule a consultation with Combs Waterkotte. During this essential initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step towards safeguarding your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Branson, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Branson, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Waterkotte, we are dedicated to standing by your side during the legal journey, offering resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to get in touch with us today to talk about your order of protection case in Branson, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.