Order of Protection Lawyer Oak Grove, MO
If you received a restraining order in Oak Grove, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Waterkotte is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Oak Grove, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a vital legal tool designed to protect people who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Oak Grove, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Oak Grove, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Oak Grove, MO, reach out to Combs Waterkotte as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Oak Grove, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Amidst these complex and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Oak Grove, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Waterkotte: Your Oak Grove, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Oak Grove, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is adept in Oak Grove and Missouri order of protection law. As your Oak Grove, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Waterkotte boasts a consistent history of securing the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Oak Grove, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation at no cost to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail goes overlooked and the court will get the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Waterkotte as your dedicated Oak Grove, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the assistance and advocacy you need amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Oak Grove, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, get in touch with a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is paramount to defend your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will establish the foundation for a robust defense and aid protect your rights during the Oak Grove, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Waterkotte’s Oak Grove, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking swift steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Oak Grove, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a spectrum of significant consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, such as limitations on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be banned from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Considering the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need experienced and devoted legal representation. Combs Waaterkotte understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Oak Grove, MO and is committed to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Waterkotte be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Waterkotte’s Oak Grove, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously urge you to set up a consultation with Combs Waterkotte. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the occasion to go over the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the preliminary step in the direction of safeguarding your rights and future in an order of protection case in Oak Grove, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Oak Grove, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
With Combs Waterkotte, we are committed to supporting you through the legal journey, providing unwavering support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t delay to get in touch with us now to discuss your order of protection case in Oak Grove, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.