Order of Protection Lawyer Jefferson City, MO
If you were served with a restraining order in Jefferson City, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Waterkotte is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Jefferson City, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to protect individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from another party. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Jefferson City, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Jefferson City, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Jefferson City, MO, reach out to Combs Waterkotte immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Jefferson City, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Jefferson City, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed appropriately and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Waterkotte: Your Jefferson City, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Jefferson City, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Jefferson City and Missouri order of protection law. As your Jefferson City, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Waterkotte maintains a strong track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Jefferson City, MO. All of our clients are entitled to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to craft robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation at no cost to assess the specifics of your case, answer your questions, discuss your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in assembling and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We offer resolute representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Waterkotte as your dedicated Jefferson City, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the support and advocacy you need during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Jefferson City, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, like arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the other party. This documentation can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, contact a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to defend your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to building a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on entering your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will set the foundation for a strong defense and assist safeguard your rights throughout the Jefferson City, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Waterkotte’s Jefferson City, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Jefferson City, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can result in a variety of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the imposed restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, such as limitations on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from owning firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the seriousness of the potential consequences, you require knowledgeable and devoted legal representation. Combs Waaterkotte understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Jefferson City, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Waterkotte be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Waterkotte’s Jefferson City, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Waterkotte. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the chance to go over the details of your case, convey your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the preliminary step towards securing your defense in an order of protection case in Jefferson City, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Jefferson City, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
With Combs Waterkotte, we are dedicated to supporting you during the legal journey, offering steadfast support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t wait to reach out to us today to discuss your order of protection case in Jefferson City, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.