Order of Protection Lawyer Fayette, MO
If you were hit with a restraining order in Fayette, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Waterkotte is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Fayette, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a essential legal tool designed to protect individuals who may be facing threats, harassment, or violence from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Fayette, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Fayette, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Fayette, MO, get in touch with Combs Waterkotte as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Fayette, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to pressure a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and highly emotional scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Fayette, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed correctly and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Waterkotte: Your Fayette, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Fayette, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the details involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is proficient in Fayette and Missouri order of protection law. As your Fayette, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Waterkotte has a consistent track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Fayette, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We offer steadfast representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Waterkotte as your dedicated Fayette, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you require amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Fayette, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents related to the person who requested the order of protection. This record can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is vital to safeguard your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to building a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will establish the foundation for a solid defense and assist defend your rights during the Fayette, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, akin to that provided by Combs Waterkotte’s Fayette, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings related to your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Fayette, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a variety of notable consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the mandated restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the gravity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Waaterkotte understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Fayette, MO and is focused on lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are committed to defending your rights, investigating legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – let Combs Waterkotte be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Waterkotte’s Fayette, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are dealing with an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we highly urge you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Waterkotte. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the first step in the direction of safeguarding your rights and future in an order of protection case in Fayette, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Fayette, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
Through Combs Waterkotte, we are focused on supporting you throughout the legal journey, giving steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t wait to get in touch with us today to discuss your order of protection case in Fayette, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.