Order of Protection Lawyer University City, MO
Combs Waterkotte’s professional University City, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Waterkotte is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in University City, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a complimentary consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be facing threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the University City, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in University City, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in University City, MO, contact Combs Waterkotte right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in University City, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and intense scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in University City, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Waterkotte: Your University City, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in University City, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in University City and Missouri order of protection law. As your University City, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Waterkotte boasts a consistent track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in University City, MO. Each and every one of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to assess the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in collecting and preserving essential evidence to strengthen your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is ignored and the court will get the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We offer resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Waterkotte as your dedicated University City, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the support and advocacy you need during this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in University City, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, knowing it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This documentation can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, contact a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to defend your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, like details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to creating a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these prompt steps will establish the foundation for a strong defense and aid protect your rights throughout the University City, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Waterkotte’s University City, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking prompt steps post being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in University City, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be prohibited from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you require seasoned and devoted legal representation. Combs Waaterkotte understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in University City, MO and is focused on lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Waterkotte be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Waterkotte’s University City, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are facing an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Waterkotte. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step in the direction of securing your defense in an order of protection case in University City, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in University City, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Waterkotte, we are dedicated to supporting you through the legal journey, giving steadfast support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us now to discuss your order of protection case in University City, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.