Order of Protection Lawyer Howard County, MO
If you were served with a restraining order in Howard County, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Waterkotte is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Howard County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-cost consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Howard County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Howard County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Howard County, MO, get in touch with Combs Waterkotte as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Howard County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
In these intricate and intense scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Howard County, MO can be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Waterkotte: Your Howard County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Howard County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is adept in Howard County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Howard County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Waterkotte has a strong history of securing the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Howard County, MO. Each and every one of our clients have a right to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to formulate robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving vital evidence to strengthen your defense, making sure that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We offer unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Waterkotte as your dedicated Howard County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the support and advocacy you need amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Howard County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, comprehending it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a detailed record of any interactions, interactions or incidents concerning the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, reach out to a knowledgeable attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is vital to defend your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all applicable information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will establish the foundation for a solid defense and help defend your rights through the Howard County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, akin to that provided by Combs Waterkotte’s Howard County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Howard County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of notable consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the mandated restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and committed legal representation. Combs Waaterkotte understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in Howard County, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Waterkotte be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Waterkotte’s Howard County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are confronted with an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we strongly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Waterkotte. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step towards securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Howard County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Howard County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Waterkotte, we are committed to supporting you throughout the legal journey, providing resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not wait to get in touch with us today to go over your order of protection case in Howard County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.