Order of Protection Lawyer Cole County, MO
If you were hit with a restraining order in Cole County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Waterkotte is committed to providing effective defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Cole County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a free consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to ensure the safety of people who may be confronting dangers, harassment, or violence from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Cole County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Cole County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Cole County, MO, get in touch with Combs Waterkotte as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Cole County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to pressure a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Cole County, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Waterkotte: Your Cole County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Cole County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is adept in Cole County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Cole County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Waterkotte maintains a strong history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Cole County, MO. All of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of veteran legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to formulate robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation without any fees to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, making sure that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Waterkotte as your dedicated Cole County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the help and advocacy you need during this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Cole County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to severe legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This record can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, contact a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will set the foundation for a robust defense and aid protect your rights throughout the Cole County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Waterkotte’s Cole County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking immediate steps post being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Cole County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can result in a spectrum of major consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need experienced and committed legal representation. Combs Waaterkotte knows the nuances of order of protection cases in Cole County, MO and is dedicated to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Waterkotte be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Waterkotte’s Cole County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly recommend you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Waterkotte. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the occasion to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step in the direction of safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Cole County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Cole County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Waterkotte, we are committed to supporting you throughout the legal journey, providing resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us now to go over your order of protection case in Cole County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.