Sex Crimes Attorney in Rock Hill, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Rock Hill, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte is here for you and ready to discuss how our experienced sex crimes attorneys in Rock Hill, MO can support you. Get in touch with our professional team for a complimentary case review by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You need the aid of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry serious ramifications, including a prison sentence, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. On this page, our experienced sex crimes defense lawyers outline the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Waterkotte can protect you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, gravity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Rock Hill, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a penal sentence ranging from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any unwanted physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the production, distribution, or possession of pornographic material involving children under the age of 18. It is a severe D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Rock Hill, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can impact your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Rock Hill, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Waterkotte to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Rock Hill, MO, you get crucial and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interview witnesses, and gather evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy your life. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Rock Hill, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Waterkotte, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the know-how, proficiency, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.