Sex Crimes Attorney in Centralia, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Centralia, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte is here for you and ready to discuss how our group of sex crimes lawyers in Centralia, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You need the assistance of a knowledgeable and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes carry significant consequences, including prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our experienced sex crimes criminal defense lawyers explore the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Waterkotte can advocate you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of substance, gravity, and potential punishments, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Centralia, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a sentence ranging from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any non-consensual physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor. Children under the age of consent are treated as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Centralia, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to harsh consequences that can affect your life for many years. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be obligated to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Centralia, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Waterkotte to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Centralia, MO, you enjoy vital and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interview witnesses, and collect evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and assist you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can engage in negotiations with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this ruin the life you’ve built. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading legal defense firm in Centralia, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte comprehends the serious nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Waterkotte, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the knowledge, proficiency, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.