Sex Crimes Attorney in Foristell, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Foristell, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte is here for you and ready to discuss how our team of sex crimes attorneys in Foristell, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our expert team for a complimentary review of your case by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have legal rights. You require the assistance of a competent and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry serious consequences, which can include a prison sentence, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our seasoned sex crimes criminal defense lawyers discuss the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Waterkotte can protect you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, severity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in Foristell, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a penal sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any unwanted physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor. Children under the age of consent are considered incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the creation, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a heinous D or B felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Foristell, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to harsh consequences that can impact your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be obligated to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Foristell, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Waterkotte to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Foristell, MO, you receive essential and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interview witnesses, and compile evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can engage in negotiations with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this devastate the life you’ve built. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading legal defense firm in Foristell, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte comprehends the grave nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Waterkotte, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you traverse this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the expertise, experience, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.