Sex Crimes Attorney in Wentzville, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Wentzville, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte is here for you and ready to discuss how our team of sex crimes lawyers in Wentzville, MO can support you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have constitutional rights. You require the assistance of a competent and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with significant ramifications, which can include a prison sentence, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. On this page, our skilled sex crimes defense attorneys outline the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Waterkotte can defend you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, severity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Wentzville, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a penal sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any non-consensual sexual contact, including groping. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when someone has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are seen as too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Wentzville, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with harsh consequences that can alter your life for many years. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Wentzville, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Waterkotte to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Wentzville, MO, you enjoy crucial and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interview witnesses, and compile evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy the life you’ve built. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Wentzville, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte comprehends the serious nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended many clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Waterkotte, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you manage this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the knowledge, background, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.