Sex Crimes Attorney in Lafayette, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Lafayette, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte is here for you and ready to discuss how our group of sex crimes attorneys in Lafayette, MO can help you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a free case review by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You need the support of a skilled and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes come with serious ramifications, which can include prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our skilled sex crimes defense lawyers explore the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Waterkotte can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, severity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Lafayette, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault refers to any non-consensual sexual contact, including groping. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are treated as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a heinous D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Lafayette, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can affect your life for many years. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it exceedingly difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Lafayette, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Lafayette, MO, you receive crucial and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and collect evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and assist you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this devastate the life you’ve built. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Lafayette, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte understands the weighty nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Waterkotte, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you manage this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the expertise, background, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.