Sex Crimes Attorney in University City, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in University City, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte is here for you and ready to discuss how our team of sex crimes attorneys in University City, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free case review by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You need the support of a skilled and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with significant consequences, including prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. Below, our skilled sex crimes defense attorneys outline the different types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Waterkotte can protect you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, gravity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the University City, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a penal sentence ranging from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault refers to any non-consensual sexual contact, including groping. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when someone engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the production, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a severe felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in University City, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with harsh consequences that can affect your life for many years. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be obligated to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in University City, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Waterkotte to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in University City, MO, you enjoy crucial and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, question witnesses, and gather evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy the life you’ve built. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in University City, Missouri, Combs Waterkotte understands the grave nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Waterkotte, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you manage this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the knowledge, experience, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.