Answered by Christopher Combs in Personal Injury on April 17, 2021.

Personal injury accidents can be physically, emotionally, and financially challenging. If you’ve been injured in an accident through no fault of your own, you might be wondering what type of compensation you can recover for your harm, losses, and experiences following your accident.

However, a lot goes into determining what damages one can receive after a accident in Missouri, and no two cases are alike. At Combs Waterkotte, our St. Louis personal injury lawyers understand this and provide the maximum level of personal attention to all of our clients. Call us today at (314) 900-HELP or get in touch with us online to speak with a lawyer and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation about your accident claim.

Recovering Damages After A Personal Injury Claim

If you were injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, there are several factors that go into play with determining who is at fault. It is often times a good idea to avoid talking to insurance companies in the immediate aftermath of a, accident, as statements made in haste can easily be used to pin the blame on you and thus deny your claim. Talking to a car accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident also means that your case will be as strong as it possibly can be. When filing a personal injury claim, you will need a police report, proof of your injuries, witness statements, medical reports, and all available evidence. An attorney can use all this and more to help craft an aggressive demand letter and actively pursue your interests after an accident.

But, you may still be asking: what damages can you recover with a personal injury claim? Usually, you can claim medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, property damage, and other expenses associated with your accident. However, there is no true numerical “average” in Missouri for personal injury accident settlements or awards. Every is unique, and damages are determined according to a large number of factors.

How is the Average Personal Injury Accident Settlement Determined?

If one person is solely at fault in an accident, the victim can recover full compensation for their damages. However, if there are one or more parties at fault in an accident, this can become tricky. The state of Missouri operates under a doctrine known as pure comparative fault, meaning that victims can only recover compensation for their damages that’s equal to their degree of fault in the accident. For example, if one person is 20% at fault and the other is 80% at fault in an accident with $200,000 in damages, the person that is only 20% at fault can recover $160,000 in damages, while the other party can recover $40,000. This is strictly an example, and as every personal injury case is unique, it could end up being that multiple parties in your case can recover damages, or none at all.

Talk To A St. Louis Personal Injury Law Firm

Being in an accident, and recovering from injuries sustained in one, is a traumatic experience that raises a large amount of questions you never thought you would ask. An experienced St. Louis personal injury lawyer can help answer these questions, as well as help you fight for the best possible outcome for your case. Combs Waterkotte has helped many people from all over St. Louis recover damages after their personal injury accident and is ready to listen to your case today. To schedule a free case review, contact us online or call (314) 900-HELP.


Personal Injury