Hire A Pedestrian Accident Attorney Who Provides Personal Attention
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer St. Louis, MO. Each and every one of us has interactions with vehicles while walking every day. Whether walking through a parking lot to do our grocery shopping, out for a run along a city street, or walking to and from work, we are constantly dealing with cars, trucks, and buses which ply St. Louis, MO roads every day. However, the battle between man and car has been settled for quite some time: if you get hit by a speeding piece of metal weighing well more than a ton, you will not be coming out a winner.
If you or someone you know has been struck by a car while walking in an area they were legally allowed to do so, it is important to contact a skilled St. Louis, MO pedestrian accident attorney as soon as you can. Combs Waterkotte has experience helping all sorts of St. Louis residents who have been in an accident while walking. They are devoted to the welfare of their clients, offering them access to a full network of medical professionals who can get both their bodies and minds back to full fitness. Our firm values personal, one-on-one communication with our clients to give them the confidence that we will fight tooth and nail to get them the settlement they deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
Common Causes Of Pedestrian Accidents
Cars and trucks can strike people walking around town just about anywhere. However, in our years taking pedestrian accident cases in St. Louis, MO, there are a few factors that have led to many of our clients being struck by cars, which include:
- Speeding – As one’s speed goes up in a car, their reaction time decreases accordingly. This is why speed limits usually are lower in areas where there is a lot of pedestrian activity. For instance, in public parks, usually speed limits are set at around 15 MPH, and there are also typically speed bumps regularly placed to slow drivers down. The first question we always ask as pedestrian accident lawyers is, “Was the driver speeding?” If the driver was indeed speeding, he or she is at fault without question.
- Distracted Drivers – Distractions have never been more of an issue on roads in Missouri as they are today. Missouri only prohibits texting while driving for drivers under the age of 21–only one other state has not fully banned texting and driving for all age groups. The result of these lax laws is more pedestrian accidents. If a distracted driver was the reason for your accident, you probably have a legitimate case. Proving negligence in these types of cases sometimes requires that we subpoena the defendant for their cell phone records.
- Disobeying Traffic Signs – Traffic signs are a critical safety measure for pedestrian traffic. When drivers disobey cross-walk signs and traffic signals, it creates a dangerous situation for pedestrians.
- Drinking and Driving – Drunk drivers pose a great danger to anyone on the road, let alone pedestrians. If your incident involved a drunk driver, a DWI Accident Injury Lawyer in St. Louis, MO who understands all the laws that pertain to DWIs can make a big difference in your case.
- Poor Road Conditions – When it snows or rains, drivers are obligated to take additional precautions when driving their vehicles. That means slowing down and making 100% sure they are aware of their surroundings. Rain also creates visibility issues with seeing pedestrians on the road, as well as road markings. Unfortunately, many drivers do not consider these factors and end up striking pedestrians.
What To Do After You’ve Been Hit By A Car
It’s important that you know what to do after you’ve been involved in a car accident as a pedestrian. There are multiple steps you should take not only to ensure you get back to full fitness, but also to protect your legal rights.
- Seek Medical Attention Immediately – Regardless of the severity of your accident, you should go to the ER right away. In serious cases, you should call 911 and have an ambulance take you to the hospital; otherwise it may be better for a friend or family member to transport you. It is crucial you go straight away, even if you do not feel as if your injuries would warrant a trip to the ER. This is because there are many injuries that you cannot see or feel right away, and the only way to rule out the possibility of these injuries is to see a doctor. They may order you to undergo X-rays, MRIs, or CT scans to verify that you haven’t suffered internal or brain injuries.
- Call 911 or the Police For a Police Report. – Even if you do not need an ambulance to get medical attention, you should call the police and get an official police report. The officer will create a report that outlines the specifics of the scene of the accident and take statements from witnesses. In some reports, the officer will also indicate who was at fault for the accident. Therefore, it is critical that you get an official account of your pedestrian accident. If you did not call the police right at the time of the accident, you can still call later and file a report with the police. Keep in mind that the driver that hit you will also try to convince you to keep the police and the insurance companies out of the situation.
- Call a Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Louis, MO – Don’t wait weeks after your accident to consult with an attorney, and don’t assume that talking with an attorney means that you are hiring them to take your case. There are easily hundreds of personal injury lawyers throughout the St. Louis area and almost all of them will offer you a free consultation. While we certainly hope you choose the Combs Waterkotte, we still recommend calling several personal injury lawyers in St. Louis, MO before you make a decision. Hiring a personal injury lawyer is important and every personal injury lawyer in St. Louis, MO has their own style. Not only do you want to hire a lawyer who you feel will be your best representative in court, but you should also ask around and get as much information about your case as you can before even deciding whether to proceed with a lawsuit.
Call A Top St. Louis, MO Pedestrian Accident Attorney
As we said above, there are many personal injury law firms around St. Louis, MO, and you’ve certainly seen their ads or driven past their billboards. And make no mistake–many of these firms are excellent and do very well for their clients. But before you choose a lawyer for your St. Louis, MO pedestrian accident case, you need to ask yourself: will my case be treated with respect and care, or will I just be another client?
Combs Waterkotte is proud to say that we are not like some of the big personal injury law firms in St. Louis, MO. We promise that when you call us to discuss your case, you will always talk with your attorney–never a paralegal or legal assistant. Our firm provides you with any resources you need throughout the case, including mental health counseling or access to doctors, regardless of whether you have health insurance. We believe in the importance of the attorney-client relationship, which is why our attorneys are available 24/7 for our clients to answer questions or address concerns.
You deserve a personal injury attorney in St. Louis, MO who treats you and your case with the maximum attention and compassion. Contact Combs Waterkotte today either online or by calling (314) 900-HELP for a free consultation and to speak with our St. Louis, MO personal injury lawyers who listen to you and provide dedicated attention.